Wednesday, June 1, 2011

How long does it take to knit a "5 hour" baby sweater?

I hope this post finds you doing well!  I don't know what it is like in your neck of the woods, but here in Alabama, it already feels like summer (upper 90's).  For someone who is going to be pregnant into August, this is not good.  I need spring to feel like spring!  :)  I can see that there is a lot of air conditioning, ice cold drinks, and swimming in my future.  Oh! and don't forget my favorite fat-free ice cream!  : d


Local Yarn Store Sale Finds  


As for knitting, I have a brand new project to share with you!  I just got the yarn  yesterday.  My local yarn store, Yarn Expressions, is having a stash sale, as well as a store sale.  The stash sale includes lots of yarn that customers have donated for charity, and the price per skein is usually $2-$4, though there are a few luxury yarns that are a little more.  Also, there are a lot of yarns in the regular store that are on sale for 40% off!  Well, yesterday I took advantage of both sales!  I got three skeins of sock yarn for $3 a skein (cotton, wool, and elastic nylon), which I intend on using for baby bootees.  (I am hoping the elasticity will help them stay on baby feet.)  I also got three skeins of Cascade Baby Alpaca (usually $12.50) for $7.50 a skein.  I am so excited about my finds!


Cascade Baby Alpaca:  Luxury in a Skein of Yarn

I do believe the Cascade Baby Alpaca is the softest yarn I have ever felt, and I know it is the softest yarn I have ever knitted with.  I was originally going to knit another baby cocoon, but after seeing one of the color ways, quickly decided that I needed to knit a baby sweater for my new little boy coming in August.  I have to check my gauge, but I am hoping it will fit him this winter.


Last night my husband helped me wind one of the skeins into a ball (not fun for either of us.  How I look forward to the day when I can get a swift!).  I also looked through my baby patterns.  I decided to start the 5 hour baby boy sweater.  Today I finished the yoke, only to realize that the pattern doesn't give directions for buttonholes at any point.  So, I may be starting over with the directions I found online.  (I am pretty set on buttons and don't understand the concept of a sweater that you cannot close in anyway, especially on a wiggly baby.)

Yarn and Baby Sweater Yoke

The yarn is heavenly!  It is very soft, and the color knits up beautifully.  I have to admit that sometimes I see a multi-color yarn that I love, but then when I knit it up, it is very disappointing to me.  That is not so with this yarn.  It looks wonderful!  It also looks modern.  I like it a lot better than the usual acrylic baby yarn.  Plus, it is alpaca!!!!  Yes, my baby boy deserves it, even if I do have to be fussy with the washing!  :)

The 5 Hour Baby Sweater Challenge

Now, for the fun part...I have decided to see just how long it actually takes me to knit the "5 hour" baby boy sweater.  Will it take 5 hours, or will I be able to get it done more quickly?  Maybe it will take me a lot longer than 5 hours.  We'll see.  My prediction is that it will take me longer than 5 hours.  I will be logging my time and will reveal the details when I finish.  Come back soon and find out!

Happy Knitting!
Faith

1 comment:

  1. hehe best of luck! Is that the Yarn Explosions store in Roanoke?? hmmm... maybe I'm glad I'm an hour away! I realllly don't have money for yarn right now. LOL

    ReplyDelete